A grace note is a type of musical ornament, usually printed smaller than regular notes. The Short grace note, or Acciaccatura, appears as a small note with a stroke through the stem. The Long grace note, or Appoggiatura, has no stroke.
Create grace notes
Grace notes can be found in the "Grace notes" palette in the Basic or Advanced workspace.
Add a grace note
Use one of the following methods:
- Select a regular note and click a grace note in a palette (double-click in versions prior to 3.4).
- Drag a grace note symbol from a palette onto a regular note.
- Select a note and press / to create an acciaccatura only.
This will add a grace note of the same pitch as the regular note. To add a sequence of grace notes to a regular note, simply repeat the above actions as many times as required. See also, Change pitch (below).
Note: When a grace note is added to the score, a slur is not automatically created with it, so the latter needs to be added separately. See Slurs.
Add a chord of grace notes
Grace note chords are built up just like regular chords:
- Enter the first note of the chord as shown above
- Select this first grace note and enter subsequent notes as you would for any other regular chord (i.e. Shift+A...G).
You can also create a grace note chord by using the add interval shortcut in step 2: Alt+1...9 for intervals from a unison to a ninth above.
The pitch of a grace note can be adjusted just like a regular one:
- Select one or more grace notes
- Adjust pitch using the keyboard arrow commands, namely:
- ↑ or ↓ to increase or decrease the pitch by a semitone;
- Alt+Shift+↑ or Alt+Shift+↓ to increase or decrease the pitch one step at a time, according to the key signature.
- Select the grace note and either click a duration icon on the toolbar, or apply the duration with the appropriate keyboard shortcut: i.e. 1...9 (see Note input).
To adjust the horizontal space between a grace note and its regular parent note, use one of the following:
- Go into edit mode on the grace note, then use the left/right arrow keys to reposition as desired.
- Select the grace note and change the X-offset value in the Chord section of the Inspector.
Various other properties of the grace note can be adjusted in the Inspector (see "Element," "Chord", and "Note" sections)—such as vertical position, size, stem properties etc. The exception is "Leading space" which only applies to standard notes.
- Grace note at Wikipedia
- Appoggiatura at Wikipedia
- Acciaccatura at Wikipedia