Clef not displayed after changing clefs in previous measures
If a clef which has been attached to a note gets hidden by adding the same clef to a previous note, it does not reappear if the previous clef gets removed or a different clef is changed between the two clefs.
What to do:
- Open the attached file, note the existing bass clef in third and treble clef in the fourth measure.
- Add a bass clef to the second note in the first measure by drag+drop. Note that the clef in the third measure disappears (this is correct, so far)
- Add a treble clef to the second note in the second measure (or delete the previously added clef, but not by using Undo).
What should happen: the bass clef in the third measure should reappear
The bass clef does not reappear, but the notes are still displayed using a bass clef.
Reattaching a bass clef to the second note, third measure does not work, since it already has that clef. It gets displayed if Undo is used instead of deleting the previous clefs.
This might be somewhat similar to #4939: Display after clef change undo, but saving and reloading the file does not help.
Workaround: Attach a treble clef first which removes the hidden clef, then attach a bass clef. But then you might have the same problem with the next bass clef after a treble clef, so you need to repeat this for every clef attached to a note in your score.
Using MuseScore 1.0 on Windows.
My expected behavior: No bass clef sign, but notes should convert to treble clef.
Actual behavior (MuseScore 1.0): No bass clef sign, but notes still appear on the staff as if they were in bass clef.
Actual behavior (nightly build , r. 4100): When you drag-and-drop clef signs to measure 1, the original clefs do not disappear.
Discussion: The actual behavior in the nightly builds is logical (although not entirely expected). The actual behavior in MuseScore 1.0 is faulty.
Just tested r4100, it works there.
As described in comment #1, the second bass clef does not disappear which is a bit unexpected, but on the other hand it is more transparent to the user where clefs are attached.
However you might want to go through your score after placing/changing clefs to remove any unnecessary leftover clefs.
The intended, but not-correctly-working behaviour in the 1.0 version would remove the need to check for leftover clefs, although it hides some information, and I guess it prevents you from adding 'redundant' clefs (which could or could not be what you want).
However, I think removing a clef automatically after placing the same clefs some measures before (i.e. displaying the notes in the third staff in treble clef) is not a good idea.
Imagine editing a really big score, with quite a few clef changes, like 'bass-clef, few notes, treble clef, lots of measures, bass-clef, few notes, treble clef, .. ' and so on.
Now you decide to display a few notes with a bass clef in one of the first measures. If you drag-and-drop a bass-clef to one of the first notes, everything up to the next bass clef gets displayed with this bass clef, and the next bass clef is removed. If you then add a treble clef a few notes later, the next treble clef gets removed. Now you need to recreate the next bass clef, which in turn removes the following bass clef and so on, forcing you to enter every clef change again.
Okay. Marking as fixed (in the nightly builds).
I made a fix in the branch as well as r4105
Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.
Regarding Mastastefant's posting of March 17, 2011 at 8:18am (in which he wrote "Imagine editing a really big score, with quite a few clef changes, like 'bass-clef, few notes, treble clef, lots of measures, bass-clef, few notes, treble clef, .. ' and so on. Now you decide to display a few notes with a bass clef in one of the first measures. If you drag-and-drop a bass-clef to one of the first notes, everything up to the next bass clef gets displayed with this bass clef, and the next bass clef is removed. If you then add a treble clef a few notes later, the next treble clef gets removed. Now you need to recreate the next bass clef, which in turn removes the following bass clef and so on, forcing you to enter every clef change again."
My question is: Has this been fixed or is there a solution to this? I have completed the first movement of a major piece - it is 36 pages long and I had to go back and change some of the clefs after a crash - and just as you describe in your post I had to go and redo every single clef change afterwards - it happens all the time and I'm sure to have other clef changes to do and I expect, know, this will happen again.
Just tested this in 1.1: The bug still exists in version 1.1.
I think it was fixed in the trunk which will become the new 2.0, so I think it should work (somewhat) in the 2.0 prerelease version.
BUT: the prerelease is not yet stable, so it is not a good idea to use it for 'real' work, and once you save your score-file, you cannot open it in 1.1 anymore! So don't overwrite your score with a 2.0 version, keep a backup of your 1.1 version score! (but you should make regular backups of all your important data anyways ... ;) )
However, there is a nasty workaround for the 1.1 version:
Lets say you want to change measure 4 and 5 to treble clef, and you have a treble clef in measure 10 that you do not want to disappear. Everything else has a bass clef. Then add a *different* clef somewhere between measure 5 and 10 (lets say an alto clef, or some 8va clef or so). Then you add the treble clef to measure 4 and the bass clef to measure 6. The other clef will 'protect' your next clef change from disappearing. After you are finished, remove the temporary clef change.
It will be fixed in 1.2 too.