MuseScore allows you to transpose the playback of a staff, without affecting the music notation. This simulates the effect of a capo (Wikipedia) on the instrument.
Add capo to a single staff
- Add staff text to the note/rest from which you want capo playback to start;
- Click on "Properties" in the "Staff Text" section of the Inspector, or right-click on the staff text and select Staff Text Properties...; then click on the Capo Settings tab;
- Check the "Capo Settings" checkbox, and set Capo fret to the fret number you wish to apply the capo at (each fret increases the pitch by a semitone);
- Click Ok to apply your changes;
- Edit the wording of the text as desired.
Add capo to linked staff/tablature
- Same method as above, but in step 1, add the staff text to the music staff only.
Add capo to unlinked staff/tablature
- Same method as above, but apply the staff text to both staff and tablature.
Note: Capo playback will apply from the note that the staff text is attached to, until either the next staff text with "Capo Settings" enabled, or until the end of the score.
To remove capo playback from a staff, returning the instrument to its normal tuning:
- Add staff text with a "Capo fret" setting of "No capo".