As of MuseScore 2.0.3, a range of common fretboard (or chord) diagrams for the guitar are provided in the Fretboard Diagrams palette in the Advanced Workspace (previous versions featured only one diagram).
A chord diagram can be created for any fretted, stringed instrument by customising an existing one. It can be saved to a custom palette for future use if required.
Add a fretboard diagram
To add a fretboard diagram to the score, open a palette containing a fretboard diagram and either:
- Select a note in voice 1 and double-click the fretboard diagram.
- Drag and drop the fretboard diagram into position on the score.
Edit fretboard (chord) diagram
- Right-click on the diagram and select Fretboard Diagram Properties....
- Adjust the number of instrument strings, using the "Strings" spin box at the bottom left of the window.
- Adjust the fret position number using the scroll bar on the right-hand side.
- Adjust how many frets to display (heightwise) using the "Frets" spin-box at the bottom right of the window.
- To place a dot on a string fret, click on that fret. To remove the dot, click on the fret again.
- Click above the lowest fret to toggle a string between:
- Open string (o),
- mute/unplayed string (x)
- To create a barre or partial barre, first make sure the desired fret position is clear of dots. Then click on a fret while holding Shift (see "step 2" below). Delete the barre by shift-clicking again on the same fret. Note: Only one barre can be applied per diagram.
So, for example, to create a full-barre F# chord, from a C chord:
Place the C fretboard diagram on the score, right-click on it to get the Fretboard Diagram Properties window, then click on the relevant fret positions to establish the fingering dots.
Set "Frets" to "4" and fret number (right-hand scroll bar) to "2." The diagram should now look like this:
Create the barre by using Shift and click on the second fret of the 6th string. Click "OK" to exit and you should get this:
The same principle applies if you want a partial barré. For example, the partial barré in an A7 chord is created by pressing Shift, then clicking on the 4th string, second fret:
Adjust position, size, color
The size ("Scale"), color and position of a fretboard diagram can be changed by clicking on it and altering the relevant values in the Inspector.
Position can also be adjusted more directly in Edit mode:
Double-click on the diagram (or click on it and press Ctrl+E (Mac: Cmd+E) , or right-click on the symbol and select "Edit element").
Press arrow keys for fine positioning (0.1 sp at a time); or press Ctrl+Arrow (Mac: Cmd+Arrow) for larger adjustments (1 sp at a time).
Fretboard diagram style
Some default properties of fretboard diagrams (barre thickness, vertical position, size etc.) can be adjusted via Style → General… → Chord Symbols, Fretboard Diagrams. Any changes made here affect all existing diagrams, as well as those applied subsequently.