Edit mode allows you to perform a wide range of editing operations on individual score elements, such as:
- adjust the length and shape of slurs, lines, barlines etc.
- add, delete and format text in text objects.
- adjust the position of most score elements (but not text).
Enter/exit edit mode
To enter Edit mode use any of the following methods:
- Double-click an element.
- Right-click on an element and, from the menu, select Edit Element.
- Click on an element and press Alt+Shift+E.
To exit Edit mode use any of the following:
- Press Esc.
- Click on a blank area of the document window.
For text edit mode, see Text editing.
Sometimes it is necessary to shift a note to the right or left—to avoid a collision with another element or to override automatic notehead sharing for example:
- Enter Edit mode on the desired note;
- Press the arrow key in the direction (left or right) that you wish to nudge the note (or use Ctrl+← or Ctrl+→ for larger adjustments);
- Press the Esc key. This will allow the note stem to be redrawn.
Alternatively, you can select the notehead and change the "Horizontal offset" (under "Chord") in the Inspector.
Adjust note stem length
- Enter Edit mode on the desired note stem;
- Use keyboard shortcuts (below) to extend or shorten the stem;
- Exit edit mode.
Alternatively, you can select the stem and change the "Length Offset" (under "Stem") in the Inspector.
To reposition a note stem, you should select it and adjust the "X" or "Y" setting for the "Offset" under "Automatic placement" in the "Element" section of the Inspector.
In Edit mode the following keyboard commands can be used to change the position of either (1) a score element (e.g. ornament, accidental etc.) or (2) an adjustment handle (e.g. slur, line etc.):
- ←: Move left 0.1 staff space.
- →: Move right 0.1 staff space
- ↑: Move up 0.1 staff space
- ↓: Move down 0.1 staff space
- Ctrl+← (Mac: ⌘+←): Move left one staff space
- Ctrl+→ (Mac: ⌘+→): Move right one staff space
- Ctrl+↑ (Mac: ⌘+↑): Move up one staff space
- Ctrl+↓ (Mac: ⌘+↓): Moves down one staff space
- Alt+←: Move left 0.01 staff space
- Alt+→: Move right 0.01 staff space
- Alt+↑: Move up 0.01 staff space
- Alt+↓: Move down 0.01 staff space
The following commands only apply to adjustment handles:
- Shift+←: Move end handle's anchor left by one note/rest.
- Shift+→: Move end handle's anchor right by one note/rest.
- Tab: Go to next handle.
To undo all edits, ensure you are not in edit mode and press Ctrl+R.