A slur is a curved line between notes of different pitches indicating legato phrasing; exact interpretation depends on the instrument.
Slurs should not be confused with (note) ties which connect notes of the same pitch and extend the duration of the first note to encompass the connected notes.
Adding a slur to your score
After selecting a note, a slur can be created using any of the following:
- A keyboard shortcut, S. This option is both convenient and fast.
- The menu option, Add→Line→Slur
- A slur from the lines palette.
The exact method of applications depends on whether you are in note input or normal modes of operation. The keyboard shortcut method will be used as an example.
Adding slurs in normal mode
- Select the note where you want the slur to start:
- Press S to add a slur extending to the next note:
- To extend the slur to the next note, hold Shift and press → (right arrow). Repeat as required:
- To flip the slur direction, press X:
- Press Esc to exit edit mode:
- Select the note where you want the slur to start;
- Choose one of the following options:
- To add a single slur: Hold down Ctrl (Mac: Cmd) and select the last note that you want the slur to cover.
- To add slurs to all voices: Hold down Shift and select the last note that you want the slurs to cover.
- Press S.
Adding slurs in note input mode
- Enter the first note in the slurred section;
- Press S to begin the slurred section;
- Type in the remaining notes in the slurred section;
- Press S again to end the slurred section.
Multi-voice and cross-staff slurs
Using method 2 (above) you can create a slur between notes in the same or different voices. Cross staff slurs can be created in exactly the same way. e.g.
You can also adjust the start/end handles of an existing slur to move the start or end to a note of a different voice:
- Click on the start/end handle of the slur.;
- Press Shift+↑/↓ to move the start/end between voices, and from staff to staff.
Changing appearance of slurs
To adjust the shape of a slur or its range, see Adjusting elements directly.
The following properties specific to slurs can be adjusted in the Properties panel.
Style: Solid, dashed or dotted line.
Position: Above or below.
Some default properties for all slurs in the score can be adjusted in Format→Style→Slurs/Ties: