Stems and flags
Default stem direction
MuseScore aligns the stems of voice 1 notes according to the rules of music theory. By contrast, voice 2 and voice 4 stems always point down; and voice 3 stems, up. Voice 1 note stems automatically flip upwards in the presence of voice 2 or 4 notes.
Flipping stem direction
- Select either the notehead, stem or attached beam (if any);
- Use any of the following methods:
- Press X;
- Click on the "Flip direction" icon in the toolbar,
- Select a position from the "Stem direction" section of the Properties panel.
This action will flip any attached beam as well.
Changing stem length
- Select the stem;
- Use one of the following methods:
- Press ↑/↓ to extend or shorten the stem;
- Change "Length" in the Properties panel.
Creating stemless notes
To hide the stems of individual notes:
- Select one or more noteheads and check "Hide stem" in the Note section of the Properties panel.
To hide all stems in an instrument part:
- Right-click on the staff and select Staff/Part properties;
- Click on Advanced style properties;
- Check "Stemless".
Stem and flag properties
Properties specific to stems and flags can be edited from the Stem tab in the Note section of the Properties panel:
Stem direction: Choose Auto, Down or Up.
Flag style: Traditional (default) or straight.
Thickness: Stem width.
Length: Stem length.
Stem offset: Move the stem in a horizontal and/or vertical direction.
Stem and flag style
Stem thickness and Flag style (traditional or straight) for the whole score may be set in Format→Style→Notes.