Edit mode is used to edit elements that have been added to a score. Most types of elements can be edited in one way or another in edit mode.
To enter edit mode use any of these methods:
- Double-click any element
- Right-click on it and choose Edit Element
- Click on it once and use the shortcut Ctrl+E (Mac: Cmd+E).
To leave edit mode, press Esc, or click on a blank area of the document window.
For text edit mode, see Text editing.
Slur in edit mode
The end handles are used to adjust the length of the line. The middle handle is used to adjust its vertical position. In addition, for slurs and ties, there are three handles to adjust the shape of the curve (see image above).
To reposition a handle, click on it and use a keyboard shortcut (see below). Alternatively you can drag the handle with a mouse.
Each end handle is connected by a dotted line to an anchor on the staff. The start and end anchors mark the boundaries of the region of the score under the control of the line. By default, an endpoint handle is positioned vertically above its anchor.
- To move both an endpoint handle and its attached anchor, select the handle and use Shift+→ or Shift+←.
- To move an endpoint handle without affecting its anchor, select the handle and use either the left/right keyboard arrows or a corresponding Ctrl (Mac: ⌘) command. See keyboard shortcuts below.
The following keyboard commands can be used to adjust the position of the currently selected handle:
- ←: Move handle left 0.1 staff space (one staff space is the distance between two staff lines, as set in Page Settings)
- →: Move handle right 0.1 staff space
- ↑: Move handle up 0.1 staff space
- ↓: Move handle down 0.1 staff space
- Ctrl+← (Mac: ⌘+←): Move handle left one staff space
- Ctrl+→ (Mac: ⌘+→): Move handle right one staff space
- Ctrl+↑ (Mac: ⌘+↑): Move handle up one staff space
- Ctrl+↓ (Mac: ⌘+↓): Moves handle down one staff space
- Alt+←: Move handle left 0.01 staff space
- Alt+→: Move handle right 0.01 staff space
- Alt+↑: Move handle up 0.01 staff space
- Alt+↓: Move handle down 0.01 staff space
- Shift+←: Move end handle's anchor left by one note/rest.
- Shift+→: Move end handle's anchor right by one note/rest.
- Tab: Go to next handle
To move a single note to the right or left (e.g. to avoid a collision with another element or to override notehead sharing), select the notehead and change the chord horizontal offset in the Inspector. Alternatively, you can do the same thing in note edit mode as follows:
- Enter note edit mode by (i) double-clicking a notehead OR (ii) right-clicking a notehead and selecting "Edit Element", OR (iii) selecting a notehead and pressing Ctrl + E.
- Press the arrow key in the direction (left or right) that you wish to nudge the note (or use Ctrl+← or Ctrl+→ for larger adjustments).
- Press the Esc key. This will allow the note stem to be redrawn.
Note: Edit mode for a note stem allows you to change the length of the stem, not move it horizontally. To reposition a note stem, click on it and adjust horizontal offset in the Inspector.