A grace note is a type of musical ornament, usually printed smaller than regular notes. The Short grace note, or Acciaccatura, appears as a small note with a stroke through the stem. The Long grace note, or Appoggiatura, has no stroke.
Create grace notes
Grace notes can be found in the "Grace notes" palette in the Basic or Advanced workspace.
Add a grace note
- Select a regular note and double click a grace note in a palette, OR
- Drag a grace note symbol from a palette onto a regular note, OR
- Select a note and press / to create an acciaccatura only.
To add a group of grace note to a regular note, simply repeat the above actions as many times as required.
Add a chord of grace notes
Grace note chords are built up just like regular chords:
- Enter the first note of the chord as shown above
- Select this first grace note and enter subsequent notes as you would for any other regular chord (i.e. Shift+ note names (C, D, E etc...) etc).
You can also create a grace note chord by using the add interval shortcut in step 2: Alt+1-9 for intervals from a unison to a ninth above.
If you want to change the duration of a previously created grace note, select it and choose a duration from the toolbar or enter with one of the keys 1 ... 9 (see Note input).
The position of a grace note after a note (such as a trill termination) may have to be adjusted by selecting the note, going into edit mode and using the left/right keyboard arrows; or change the chord offset values in the Inspector.