Duration Editor is an plugin for MuseScore that allows to change the notes entry paradigm of MuseScore – being rhythm first, melody second – into Melody first, rhythm second.
Where MuseScore works in a vertical approach (inserting a note in a measure will insert a rest in all the other staves at the same segment, deleting a note ("time-delete") in a measure will delete the same amount of time in all the other staves) Duration Editor works in horizontal approach. Every modification done in a measure is limited to the current staff, not impacting the other staves.
Chord notes features
- Change any note duration,
- Change/Add/Remove the notes dots,
- Insert rests,
- Delete notes,
- Add ties between chords and following rests (1.3.0),
- Tuplets insert: convert consecutive notes/rests to tuplets (1.3.0),
- Tuplets removal: convert tuplets to consecutive notes/rests (1.3.0),
- Multi-voice or single-voice eidition (1.3.0)
About the Tie feature (1.3.0)
- select a rest, and the "Add tie" button will copy the previous chord (or the next chord, if no previous one) into that rest and tie them together.
- select a chord, and the "Add tie" button will copy it to an immediately previous rest (or the next rest, if no previous one) and tie them together.
About the Tuplet feature (1.3.0)
- select any range of consecutive chords/notes/rests, and the "Tuplet" button will transform these into a without impacting (i.e. adding rests) the following chord/notes.
- select any note of a tuplet, and the "Tuplet" button will replace the tuplet with its notes/rests without impacting (i.e. "eating") the following notes/rests.
- All those feature are working
- at the measure and staff-level (except the Add tie function which is cross-measure),
- without impacting the next notes of the measure (they will be moved accordingly),
- without impacting the other staves
- All the actions are undoable. It will require up-to 2-5 undos before completely undoing a action.
- The Insert and Remove tuplets as well as the Single voice edition do not manage all the notes characteristics. Some of them might by lost when performing those actions. This is improved in 1.3.0
Due to the “sensible” nature of MuseScore’s API, and although having been thoroughly tested, you may fall into some limit cases where the plugin crashes MuseScore. No such cases have been detected since the version 1.0.1, but there is no warranty or whatsoever.
Download and Install
Download the version from GitHub.
For installation see Plugins.
Support of MS4.0
MuseScore 4.0 support for plugin is minimal. Many functions are not implemented yet, or have changed.
Therefore, this plugin does not work under MuseScore 4.0.
And if you like this note-entry paradigm...
The goal of that plugin is to demonstrate that there is another note-entry paradigm needed/possible in MuseScore.
The ultimate goal is to have this paradigm available natively in MuseScore without any plugin.
If you like that approach, don't hesitate to the drop a message on the MuseScore forum about you liking this way of working.
For discussions, issues, improvement ideas, please get to the Duration Editor feedback discussion.
NO WARRANTY THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW THE AUTHOR WILL BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF THE AUTHOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.