For MuseScore 3 users, see Partijen maken
If you have written a full ensemble score, MuseScore can create sheet music that shows only the individual part for each musician in the ensemble.
In the current version of MuseScore, the process of extracting parts from a full score involves two main steps:
- Specifying which instruments are included in each part ("Defining the parts")
- Actually creating the part
Defining the parts
You can define the parts at any point after creating a new score. You only need to define the parts once for each score, but you can make changes if needed. The following instructions use a string quartet as an example, but the same principles apply for any other ensemble.
- From the main menu, choose File → Parts...
- In the Parts window click New to create a "part definition"
- In the right pane, type the words you want to use for the "File Name" and "Part Title"
- File Name
- The initial name used when you save the part on your computer (required)
- Part Title
- The text printed on the first page of your part, top left corner (optional)
- Pick the instrument that you want to appear in your part by marking the relevant box in the right-hand pane. Usually, you only want one instrument per part, but sometimes you might need a part that includes more than one instrument (such as multiple percussion staves). MuseScore allows you to mark as many instruments per part as you need.
- Repeat steps two through four (above) for each part as needed
- Once you done, press Close to dismiss the Parts window
You have now finished defining the parts. You do not need to do this again, unless you add or remove an instrument from your full score. In the current version of MuseScore, it is not possible to split a single staff (that contains two or more voices) into separate parts. So, any instrument that you want to print out a separate part for also needs to have its own staff in the full score.
Creating the parts
You can create your parts at any time to see how they look, but it is only necessary to do it after you have finished the full score and want to print out the individual parts:
- From the main menu, choose File → Parts... to return to the Parts window.
- In the left pane, click to select a part that you want to create and view
- Press Create Part and a new tab is added to the main MuseScore window containing your newly created part
Repeat steps two and three for each part that you want to view or print. If you make any changes to the full score, you can re-create a part at any time in order to show the new changes in the part.
In the current version of MuseScore, changes on a score are not linked to parts that have already been created, so any change you make on the score will also need to be made on the individual part either manually, or by recreating the part from the steps above. Also, parts are created as not-yet-saved files, so each part you just created needs to be saved as an individual file (via File → Save...) or it will be lost when closing the tab. You may wish to review it before saving to check for proper formatting.