MuseScore allows you to transpose the playback of a staff without changing the music notation (written pitch). This simulates the effect of a capo on a guitar (or other stringed instrument).
Adding a capo marking to your score
To a single staff
- Add staff text to the note/rest from which you want capo playback to start;
- Open the Staff text properties dialog.
- Click on the Capo Settings tab;
- Check the “Capo Settings” checkbox, and set "Capo fret" to the fret number you wish to apply the capo at (each fret increases the pitch by a semitone);
- Click OK to apply your changes;
- Edit the wording of the text as desired.
To a staff / tablature pair
Use one of the following:
- If linked, add the capo to the standard staff—not the tablature.
- If unlinked, add the capo to both staves.
Note: Any capo playback settings apply until overridden by a subsequent Staff text with “Capo Settings” enabled.