Navigate to the handbook page for Musescore 2: Voices
Note: The MuseScore implementation of voices in 0.9.4 is not yet complete and subject to change.
Enter multiple voices per staff:
- First start by entering the top voice (all the up-stem notes).
- When you enter the notes some may have down-stems. If you are using version 0.9.4 or later you do not need to worry about the stem direction at this point because they will flip automatically when you add the second voice.
- Version 0.9.3 only: If you are using version 0.9.3 or earlier you need to manually flip all down-stem notes. Select a note and click the "Flip direction" button
on the toolbar or press X on the keyboard.
- Now select the first note to move your cursor back to the beginning of the line.
- Click on "Voice 2" button and start entering the bottom voice (all the down-stem notes).
- Version 0.9.3 only: Once again if you are using version 0.9.3 or earlier you need to flip the stems as to go along using X on the keyboard or the flip direction button
- When you are done it should look like this:
When to use voices
- If you need stems pointing in opposite directions within a chord on a single staff
- If you need notes of different durations within a single staff, played simultaneously
Hidden spacer rests
To hide a rest right-click on the rest and select Set Invisible. If you have Display → Show Invisible marked then the rest still shows in gray on your screen. The rest does not appear when you print.