Barline symbols are available in the Barlines palette:
Change barline type
To change an existing barline, use one of the following:
- Select a barline, then double click on a symbol in the Barlines palette.
- Drag a symbol from the Barlines palette onto a barline in the score.
- Drag a symbol from the Barlines palette onto a measure.
- Select a measure, then double-click on a symbol in the Barlines palette.
To insert a new barline between existing ones, either:
- Drag a symbol from the Barlines palette onto a note or rest.
- Select a note or rest, then double-click a symbol in the Barlines palette.
Barlines can also be changed in the Inspector. Other options available here include:
- Dashed or dotted barlines
- End, double, and adjustable partial barlines
- Spanned staves
To hide a barline entirely, select the line and press V, or uncheck Visible in the Inspector.
Barlines may extend over multiple staves, as in the grand staff of a piano, or in an orchestral score to join instruments in the same section. To join barlines:
Double-click on a barline to enter Edit mode.
Click on the lower blue handle and drag it down to the staff you wish to connect to. The handle snaps into position so there is no need to position it exactly.
Press Esc to exit edit mode. This will update all other relevant barlines as well.