How To add a lyric to a rest (silent note)
There are several ways:
- Enter a note at the same place in another voice;
- Add a lyric word/syllable to the note to indicate a spoken word;
- Make the note silent and invisible;
- Select the rest;
- Add staff text (Ctrl+T), and enter the lyrics word/syllable;
- Exit text edit mode (Esc): make sure that the word/syllable you have just entered is still selected;
- Open the Inspector (F8) and set Text Style to "Lyrics Odd lines" or "Lyrics Even Lines," as appropriate.
- Add the word/syllable to an existing note;
- Make the note silent via the Inspector;
- Change the notehead to a cross.