A plugin to import ABC (v1.6) into MuseScore 0.9.5 is now available in the source code repository.
- Download the plugin by right clicking this link and save target as.
- Save the file in the plugins directory of MuseScore. On Windows it's c:\Program Files\MuseScore\plugins
- if you don't run Windows or if you didn't install MuseScore in the default location, edit the plugin file and change the "program" variable to the path to MuseScore executable.
- Restart or start MuseScore
How it works?
In the plugins menu, select "ABC import" and pick a file containing an ABC tune. It has to be a complete tune and not just ABC notes like "Abc cde".
The plugin calls a web service to do the conversion from ABC to MusicXML. Then, the MusicXML file is opened in MuseScore. The webservice is not perfect neither is MuseScore musicXML import. But it gives good results and can save lots of time compared to transcribe the tune by hand.
You can try the webservice without installing the plugin at http://abc2xml.appspot.com/
The webservice uses ABC4J. ABC4J supports ABC 1.6 only.
- If next version of MuseScore has the ability to access mscore path or import musicXML from the plugin framework, make the plugin more "crossplatform"
- Add a progress bar during the conversion