Adjusting elements directly
Changing the position of elements
To reposition most score elements, use any of the following methods:
- Click and drag the element with your mouse (see also Snap to grid).
- Press the keyboard arrows, either on their own for small steps (0.1 sp), or in combination with Ctrl (Mac: ⌘) for larger steps (1 sp).
- Adjust the horizontal and vertical offsets in the Properties panel.
Certain score elements, such as articulations, ornaments, symbols, and notes and rests, can only be moved with the keyboard arrow keys after placing the element into "Edit mode". To move these elements with the arrow keys:
- Right-click on the desired element
- Select Edit element to place the object in "Edit mode", or use the keyboard shortcuts F2 or Alt+Shift+E (Mac: ⌥+Shift+E)
- Use the ← → ↑ ↓ keys to move the object in increments of 0.5 sp, or click and drag it with the mouse
Changing the shape of elements
- Click on the slur or tie to be adjusted
- Click and drag the adjustment handles that appear around the element (N.b. red letters in the below diagram are for reference only)
- Handles B, C, and D change the shape of the curve at that point
- Handles A end E adjust the element's length (This can also be achieved by pressing Shift+←/→ to move the ends one chord/rest at a time)
- Handle F repositions the whole line without changing its shape or length
If you wish to change the note to which a slur or tie is connected, the recommended method is to use the keyboard shortcuts described above (Shift+←/→). This is the most efficient way of changing both the visual and playback range of notes encompassed by a slur or tie.
Working with lines
Changing the range of a line
To change the start and end points of a line:
- Select the line to reveal its adjustment handles
- Click either the start or end adjustment handle
- Press Shift+←/→ to move the handle one step at a time (a step = one note/rest, or one measure—depending on the line type). Note: You can use Tab to move the focus between handles when adjusting.
- Fine-tune the position of handles using the keyboard arrows ←/→ if required. Note that this does not affect the playback range of the line.
As with slurs and ties, it is recommended to use Shift when adjusting line length with the arrow keys to ensure that the playback range also adjusts accordingly.
Creating diagonal lines
Although lines are horizontal by default, they can be set at any angle simply by dragging the start or end adjustment handles; or by selecting a start/end handle and using the Up/Down keyboard arrows.
Editing line text
To edit the text of text line elements such as "system text line", "staff text line", and "barré line":
- Select a text line element in your score
- Go to the Properties panel
- Click the Text tab in the Text line section
- Enter the desired text in the Beginning text field.
Note: If the text line spans more than one system, you may also wish to modify the contents of the Text when continuing to a new system field.