Early music features
I've been using text based linux engravers (MUP and MusiXTeX) for decades for engraving my early music editions, first in WIMA and since 2012 in IMSLP, and I'll definitely continue to do so. Recently, however, I've encountered the need to adapt former Finale engravings and decided to give MuseScore a try. I managed to get musicxml exports from the Finale files and have spent many nice hours working with the Finale stuff imported into MuseScore (2.0.3 AppImage).
Recently I've adapted a motet Ascendens Christus for recorders. I've managed to create a really fine score plus separate parts. But I've not been able to apply a few features which are possible with MUP
- 'Incipits' displaying original clef, time signature, note shapes and durations. With MUP that's doable though 'restarts': the incipit is a tiny piece of its own followed by an empty frame. Then a new piece starts where I can have full size 'modern' clefs and time signature. With MuseScore I can start with original clefs. But I can only have clef change (reduced size) clefs in the first ordinary measure. And I didn't figure out how to add in an empty frame between the incipit and the ordinary score.
- Ambitus: MuseScore offers a convenient way of adding ambitus in the full score. But in the extracted separate parts the ambitus does not appear if the parts starts with more than a few measure rests. Furthermore, if I apply another transposition in the parts (in this case an octave up for treble recorders) the ambitus is not transposed.
- Longa: in mensuration notation longae have their stems right aligned regardless of stem direction. In MUP I can fake through with some drawing. In MuseScore I can implement concluding longae (signifying fermata) through non-marked tuplets (adapted to the duration of the final note) combined with 'alt brevis' note heads. That's really nice. But I haven't figured out how to right align the longa stem.
My MuseScore engraving file is available in IMSLP //imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP229350-Ascendens_Christus.zip