MusicXML Compatibility with Sibelius 7
I have exported some scores from Sibelius format using the new MusicXML export available in Sibelius 7. When I then imported these scores into MuseScore, all the lyrics were missing. I verified that the lyrics were indeed in the XML by looking at them in a text editor and by trying to re-import them in Sibelius, which worked.
I then tried importing the file into Finale which also worked perfectly. All the lyrics were in place in Finale so I then exported from Finale as MusicXML and imported into MuseScore and that worked perfectly also. All the lyrics were present in MuseScore using the export from Finale.
So then I went and looked at the XML to see what had changed. Apparently the problem is that inside the lyric node, Sibelius exports both the part number and verse number inside the 'number' attribute. In other words if we are working with verse 1 and the 8th part in the score, Sibelius will export the 'number' attribute as 'part8verse1'. Whereas MuseScore only wants that '1' and thus ignores the entire lyric node. I have attached a complete example.
The fact that Finale recognizes this format would seem to indicate that it is valid. In any case, in order to maintain compatibility with other software, this should be corrected.