Abbreviation of Mellophone Bugle

• Jul 11, 2018 - 09:09

Currently, abbreviations of Mellophone and Mellophone Bugle are both the same: "Mello.". To prevent ambiguity the second one could be "Mello. Bu."


The abbreviations for bugles are simply what are commonly used within the Drum & Bugle Corps activity.

Soprano / Sop.
Mellophone / Mello.
Baritone / Bari.
Euphonium / Euph.
Contrabass / Contra.

It would be a very rare case, if ever, that you would have G bugles mixed with other instruments and for those writing for these instruments, the additional distinction is unnecessary.

(I actually used to play in a drum corps on G-bugles :-) )

In reply to by Daniel

Thank you for your insight.
Just to clarify, taking advantage of your knowledge and practical experience. So there are two families of brass instruments, other than those usally found in symphony orchestras (trumpet, french horn, trombone, tuba), the non-bugle (tuned in F or B flat) and the bugle ones (tuned in G), isn't it?

In reply to by fmiyara

I figured I'd break down full range of brass instruments for reference (for future searches):

Firstly, for the broader distinction, it is better to refer to the technique used (wind-blown with sound generated by buzzing lips), rather than the material of construction (brass).

If we back up and consider what types of instruments use this similar technique, they all belong to a category of instruments collectively called Trumpets.

We can break down the organization of these types of instruments by the Hornsbostel-Sachs classification (a standard system of organizing and classifying musical instruments).

423.1 Natural trumpets - There are no means of changing the pitch apart from the player's lips.

Natural trumpet
423.11 Conches - A conch shell serves as trumpet.

423.111 End-blown.

423.111.1 Without mouthpiece.

Conch shell (if played like a trumpet)
423.111.2 With mouthpiece.

423.112 Side-blown.

423.12 Tubular trumpets.

423.121 End-blown trumpets - The mouth-hole faces the axis of the trumpet.

423.121.1 End-blown straight trumpets - The tube is neither curved nor folded.

423.121.11 Without mouthpiece.


423.121.12 With mouthpiece.


423.121.2 End-blown horns - The tube is curved or folded.

423.121.21 Without mouthpiece.


423.121.22 With mouthpiece.

Natural horn

423.122 Side blown trumpets.

423.2 Chromatic trumpets - The pitch of the instrument can be altered mechanically

423.21 Keyed trumpets

Cornett (or Cornetto)

423.22 Slide trumpets


423.23 Valved trumpets

423.231 Conical bore

Soprano Bugle
Alto Bugle
Mellophone Bugle
Baritone Bugle
Euphonium Bugle
Contrabass Bugle

423.232 Semi-conical bore

Tenor Horn / Alto horn (same instrument)
Wagner tuba

423.233 Cylindrical bore

Baritone horn
Trombone (valued)

This is not even close to a full list. A really great resource for exploring the vast number of instruments out there is the MIMO - Musical Instrument Museums Online data base.

Do you still have an unanswered question? Please log in first to post your question.