Import MIDI file AND retain note velocities
I have an "accompaniment" arrangement open in the first tab. I.e., there's a staff at the top of the arrangement awaiting a solo voice, to be imported from a MIDI file. I've been unable to successfully do this AND retain the note velocities from the original MIDI file.
1) I went to File>Open menu and selected the MIDI file.
2) MIDI file successfully opened into a second tab. Note velocities appeared at first listening to be correct, matching the original file.
3) Set Quantization to the finest possible resolution.
4) Copied and pasted solo voice from second tab, into the awaiting staff in the 1st tab, so that it could take it's place as the solo voice sitting on top of the overall accompaniment.
5) MuseScore now ignores, and seems to have normalized, the original note velocities from the original MIDI file and indeed, from the second tab from whence I copied it. By "normalized", I specifically mean that very quiet passages, even though they still played quietly in the second tab, are now normal volume in the first tab containing the overall arrangement.
Is this a standard behavior of MuseScore? Does it strip out note velocities when you copy and paste a MIDI solo using the clipboard? Any comments on what to do about this? This is not something that can just be fixed manually, after the paste into the first tab, because the composition is almost 10,000 bars long!
Thanks for any comments.