A variety of simple and complex (multi-stage) bends can be created with the Bend Tool , located in the Articulations palette of the Advanced workspace. Any bend applied to the score can be customized in the Bend section of the Inspector.
Apply a bend
To apply one or more bends to the score, use one of the following options:
- Select one or more notes and double-click a bend symbol in the palette.
- Drag a bend symbol from the palette on to a note.
Edit text and line properties
Various font properties, and line thickness, can be edited in the Bend section of the Inspector. Text and line Properties applying to all bends in the score can be edited in Format→Style...→Bend
Edit bend properties
Select a bend symbol in the score and press "Properties" in the Bend section of the Inspector.
Preset options are available, if needed, on the left hand side of the Bend properties window. The current bend is represented by a graph consisting of gray lines connected by square, blue nodes (see image above). The slope of the line indicates the type of bend:
- Up-slope = Up-bend
- Down-slope = Down-bend
- Horizontal line = Hold
The vertical axis of the graph represents the amount by which the pitch is bent up or down: one unit equals a quarter-tone: 2 units a semitone, 4 units a whole-tone, and so on. The horizontal axis of the graph indicates the length of the bend: each gray line segment extends for 1 space (sp) in the score.
A bend is modified by adding or deleting nodes in the graph:
- To add a node, click on an empty intersection.
- To delete a node, click on it.
Adding a node lengthens the bend by 1 sp; deleting a node shortens the bend by 1 sp. The Start and End points of the bend can be moved up and down only.
The height of the bend symbol is automatically adjusted so that the text appears just above the staff. This height can be adjusted, if necessary, with a workaround:
- Create another note vertically above the note (shortening the line) or below the note (extending the line) at which you want the bend to start.
- Apply the bend to the created note.
- To adjust the height of the bend move this created note vertically so that the bend symbol gets the desired height.
- Drag the bend symbol to the correct position (to the original note).
- Mark the created note invisible and silent (using the Inspector).
To adjust position use one of the following:
- Drag the bend symbol with a mouse.
- Click on the symbol and adjust the horizontal and vertical offsets in the Inspector.
- Double click on the symbol; or click on it and press Ctrl+E (Mac: Cmd+E); or right-click on the symbol and select "Edit element." Then use the arrow keys for fine positioning (0.1 sp at a time); or Ctrl+Arrow (Mac: Cmd+Arrow) for larger adjustments (1 sp at a time).
After a bend has been created in the score it can be saved for future use by dragging and dropping the symbol to a palette while holding down Ctrl+Shift (Mac: Cmd+Shift). See Custom Workspace.
- Bending at wikipedia