Note: This page applies to versions of MuseScore prior to 3.1 only. Users of MuseScore 3.1 and above should go to Fretboard diagrams.
A range of fretboard (or chord) diagrams for the guitar are provided in the Fretboard Diagrams palette in the Advanced Workspace.
You can create a chord diagram for any fretted, stringed instrument by editing an existing one. It can be saved to a custom palette for future use if required.
Add a fretboard diagram
To add a fretboard diagram to the score, use one of the following methods:
- Select a note in voice 1 and double-click a fretboard diagram from a palette.
- Drag and drop a fretboard diagram from a palette to the desired position in the score.
As the cursor hovers over the chosen diagram within the palette, its name will appear as a pop-up hint.
Edit a fretboard diagram
When a fretboard diagram is selected, it can be edited in the Inspector as follows:
- To adjust the number of instrument strings: Use Strings.
- To adjust the fret position number: Use Offset.
- To adjust how many frets to display (height-wise): Use Frets.
- To place the finger dots: Click on a fret to establish a dot; click again to remove the dot.
- To create a barre or partial barre: First make sure that the desired fret position is clear of black dots (click on a dot to remove it). Then, holding the Shift key, click on the string where you want the barre to begin. (Note: Only one barre can be applied per diagram; a partial barre must end on the first string).
- To delete a barre: Click on the black dot where the barre begins.
- To Indicate open and mute strings (if applicable): Click just above the diagram to toggle a string between:
- Open (o)
- Mute/unplayed (x)
- No indication.
- To adjust the size: Use the Scale property.
To adjust a diagram's element properties
The position of a Fretboard Diagram can be adjusted using the keyboard arrows in Edit mode; or with the X- and Y-offsets in the "Element" section at the top of the Inspector.
Visibility, Color and Stacking order can also be adjusted from the "Element" section.
To adjust a diagram's style properties
Certain default and global properties of Fretboard Diagrams (e.g. barre thickness, vertical position, scale, fret-number font-size and position) can be adjusted from the Style submenu: select Format→Style…→Fretboard Diagrams. Some of these properties are subject to override via the Inspector; but most affect all Fretboard Diagrams in the score.