To add a volta to the score
Use one of the following methods:
- Select a measure, or range of measures and click a Volta icon in the Lines palette (double-click in versions prior to 3.4).
- Drag-and-drop a volta from the Lines palette, then adjust the length as required (see below).
To change the number of measures that a volta covers
- Go into Edit mode on the volta. The end handle is automatically selected.
- Press Shift+→ to move the end handle forward one measure. Press Shift+← to move the handle backward one measure. Repeat as required.
Note: When you select a start or end handle, a dashed line appears connecting it to an anchor point on the staff (see diagram, below). This anchor shows the position of the playback start/end points of the Volta. The Shift commands change the anchor point so playback always remains in sync with the visual start/end points. To make fine adjustments to the visual start or end points, without affecting playback, use other keyboard arrow commands, or drag the handles with a mouse.
To make changes to Volta text:
Select the volta, and edit the properties in the Text Line Core section of the Inspector.
To specify the order of repeats:
- Select the volta, and in "Repeat list" (Volta section of the Inspector) type in a number, or sequence of numbers separated by commas, to indicate the repeat(s) in which the volta is to be played.
For example, a first ending shows the number "1"; a second ending, the number "2" and so on. More complex repeats are also possible: e.g. a "Repeat list" displaying "1, 2, 4, 5, 7" indicates that the volta is to be played during repeats 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7, and so on.
Note: Each volta section, except the final one, needs to end with an end repeat barline.
Sometimes a repeat plays more than two times. If you want to change the number of times MuseScore plays a repeat, go to the measure containing the end repeat barline and change its "Play count". See Measure operations: Other properties.