Hello, over the last few days of trying out MS, I've been writing down some suggestions for possible improvements of future versions, please find them below
- any help to beginning musicians will come in really handy for them, for instance having the note name displayed somewhere in the MS window when the mouse is hovered over the stave, so that the user knows, for each possible position of the note on the stave (mouse cursor = blue note), what note that would correspond to
- it would be very useful to have a shortcut (say, Ctrl+Space) that does "Play from beginning of file"
- right now, when using the alphabetic keyboard to input notes, the octave of the note is guessed as the one that's nearest to the previous note entered. This isn't optimal, and a simple improvement of this algorithm can lead to a lot less use of Ctrl+(up/down) to correct the octave manually and thus a lot of saved time. The improvement of this algorithm would be based on the observation that in music in general, certain notes tend to be repeated quite often, and if the user inserts, say, an E note for every other 2 notes, then it's quite likely that that E will always be in the same octave, even though, judging by the "nearest last note" algorithm, the guess would be E's that are in different octaves
- it would be good to have an option to have each measure numbered, rather than just the first measure of each row; I looked for such an option in Preferences but could not see one
- it would be nice to also have an option to have the line that divides the measures be continuous from the top of the upper stave (in a piano sheet) to the bottom of the lower stave, rather than always have short bar lines that only extend the height of a single stave
- I tried performing an operation (doubling the duration) upon a selection of two non-contiguous notes: I clicked on the first note, held down Ctrl, clicked on the second one, then clicked the appropriate note duration button. This didn't have any effect. It would be really nice to do that.