TABs keyboard note entry: ready for testing
First of all, a nightly version 74b4a45 (2012-09-01) or later is required. Currently, such a nightly is only available for Mac but it should be available for Linux soon and for Windows as soon as Win nightlies will be resumed. A self-compiled version from Github can also be used, of course!
1) During note entry in TAB staves, the entry cursor (the 'blue rectangle' cursor) does not span the whole staff vertically as for other staves, but only one string: this is the current string. Initially, the current string is the string of the selected note, if any, or the topmost string if no note is selected.
2) Two shortcuts have been added: one to make current the string above ('blue rectangle' goes up) and one to make current the string below ('blue rectangle' goes down).
3) 10 other shortcuts have been added to enter a fret mark 0 to 9 on the current string. More shortcuts (10 to 19 or even 10 to 29) will be added once the system is proven correct and stable enough. For the moment being, these should cover the majority of cases; ShiftUp can always be used to raise the note without changing string.
4) Shortcuts removed. A number of shortcuts have been removed while in TAB note entry; all those referring to absolute pitches (like "A" or "Add A to chord") and to intervals (like "Add a fifth"), as they make little sense while working on a TAB. Of course, those shortcuts ARE still available in other staff types.
5) Actual shortcuts. I had to choose the new predefined shortcuts among the few combination still available (mostly Alt combinations) and the result is somehow awkward. These are the default:
AltUp: current string above
AltDown: current string below
Alt0: enter fret 0 (or 'a' if letters are used)
Alt9: enter fret 9 (of 'k' if letters are used)
As an alternative, AltA to AltK are also set to enter frets (same meaning as above: i.e. either numbers or letters can be used to enter, and frets will be displayed as numbers or as letters according to TAB properties). Unfortunately, AltC, AltD, AltE and AltF are intercepted by the operating system to display the "Create", "Display", "Edit" and "File" menus respectively, so these combinations are not actually available! (This applies to the English version; for other languages, any letter which happens to be used for a menu will not be available).
6) All shortcuts are configurable as usual.
Note on first time usage
After running the nightly with this update, you may need to reset all shortcut customizations or the new shortcuts will have no predefined value (they will there but without any key associated). To reset them:
"Edit | Preferences | "Reset to default" (the one near to "Clear", not the general "Reset")
It is inconvenient, I know, but it is one of the drawbacks of working with an experimental version...
OR: you can enter your own key combinations for those shortcuts as usual.
1) Does the whole work as described above?
2) Has some special case been left out?
3) Can shortcut defaults be improved?
4) Suggestions for the additional shortcuts.