MIDI Does not work on Linux / Ubuntu
I am running Musescore 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 19.
I have an AKAI LPK 25 keyboard. When I use Bitwig, all I have to do is plug it in and it works (zero configuration).
I have been trying for a week to get this to work with Musescore and it doesn't work.
In I/O settings I have tried:
- ALSA Audio (default) - Does not work. MIDI DIN symbol disabled light blue
- PortAudio -Not a single option appears in drop down menus, Musescore crashes if press okay
- PulseAudio - The MIDI DIN Symbol can be enabled / disabled but no input is seen
- Jack Audio Server - The MIDI DIN Symbol can be enabled /disabled but no input is seen
- Jack Audio Server (and disable "use Jack MIDI") - Musescore crashes
This, in addition to the advice "plug in your midi keyboard before starting Musescore", makes a bad user experience.
As I said, on Bitwig, I plug it in and it just works. There are no functioning options for me on Musescore.
Additionally, every other MIDI input musical software I have used has an indicator (visual) when MIDI notes are incoming / outgoing. This is because a MIDI note is not an audio signal so it can be helpful to see it.
Also, as a user, I don't really care what audio server I am using - I just want my MIDI keybaord to work. How can I troubleshoot this?