Updating Priority management in the issue tracker
Almost a year ago we have updated Severity and Priority categories in the Issue tracker to make them reflect actual priority and importance of the relevant issues for the further development of MuseScore. Although this has improved the process of prioritizing and resolving issues, current state of the issue tracker does not seem to be always correct about issues priorities. We have a large number of issues which have P0 - Critical priority declared which remain unfixed for over a year. On the other side, we have a large number of really important bugs tagged as P1 - High, although some of them seem to be more important than some of those tagged with P0 priority. Therefore we would like to propose revising Issue tracker priorities once more and defining a general set of rules which should help in deciding which priority should be assigned to a particular issue. The proposed rules are as follows.
Priority assignment rules
- No priority
- Unconfirmed bugs;
- Suggestions which profit for MuseScore is not clear at the moment.
- P0 - Critical
- Issues with S0 - Blocker severity;
- Significant regressions;
- Tasks which have a large priority according to the release plan.
- P1 - High
- S1 - Critical severity tasks which can be reliably reproduced or which are frequently reported by users;
- Tasks which are desirable (but not critical) to implement according to the release plan;
- Most frequent users' suggestions (S5 - Suggestion) if their implementation is considered useful for MuseScore;
- Most frequently reported and discussed bugs with lower severity.
- P2 - Medium
- Confirmed bugs and relevant suggestions which did not fit to P0, P1, and P3 priority categories.
- P3 - Low
- Confirmed bugs and relevant suggestions which have relatively low impact (S4 - Minor, some S3 - Major issues) on the user experience with MuseScore.
Feel free to post any suggestion regarding the issues prioritizing rules and process in the comments. We are going to revise the existing issues in short time based on these (or corrected) rules. Hope this helps to prioritize them more clearly!
- Update on the Priority/Severity categories in the issue tracker (March 1, 2019)