Range Selection within note input mode.
Since there was quite a discussion about a feature request that would allow to do a quick range selection out of note input mode, and no clear agreement was achieved I would like to start a separate topic here to brainstorm some more advanced possibilities.
So here are some use cases for which this could be beneficial:
When inputing few notes, chords, or measures, it is common to do one of the following things
note input a passage _ range select _ then:
- add a slur to a phrase, or
- add articulations to notes, or
- copy paste the passage, or
- make a passage into a second voice, or
- change noteheads type, or
- toggle slash notation
- make small,
- add tremolos
- add a pin, or any other element from "linels" palette, like 1st or 2nd ending, 8vb , etc.
- add an interval
- change properties in inspector
- add arpeggiato to chords
- delete (yes sometimes we change our mind)
- change (most often diminish) note durations of selected notes using numbers
With the current note input behaviour, you have to first exit note input than do a range selection. Then possibly reenter note input mode and so on.
With this many different use cases It would be good to have a more efficient way to do it.
I would like to have a possibility to make a range selection right after I've entered the last note of the passage.
There were basically two possibilities discussed in the linked thread:
1. Allow a range selection command (currently "shift+arrow") to exit the note input and make a range selection at once.
2. Create some kind of hybrid note input mode, with the range selection functionality.
The first option seems like a quick and easy solution, with some drawbacks.
The second solution looks like would have to be built up from scratch.
So I see two possible routes (not necessarily excluding each other)
- Implement an extra command that would allow a "silly billy" exiting of note input mode and making a range selection at once. Leaving it a freely assignable to any shortcut (including a possibility to reassig it to "shift + arrow" thus replacing the current "swap notes" command in the note input mode )
- Since muse score already has few different options under the "N" enter notes menu,
I can imagine adding another one:
an extra hybrid note input mode, which would allow making a range selection, while remaining in an active note input mode.
That means a range selection can be made without exiting a note input mode.
enter the last note of the passage, make a range selection of a passage, apply articulation, hairpin 8va__ , for the lenfth of the passage. Then continue a note input as usual. No exiting, no reentry of note input mode. I believe there are no conflicts between commands in range selection and commands of note input mode (except for the "shift + arrow" which to point is what caused this discussion). Once the note input went on, the range selection is dismissed automatically. And so on. This might have the same disadvantages as the first solution option (potential confusion between note input and range selection functionality). However I think any of the options could be introduced as a n extra feature without radically affecting the familiar behaviour.
What are your thoughts?
Below is the link to original thread, which can be linked to this one.