About "accidental" word

• Apr 18, 2015 - 08:28


I feel confusedly for using "accidentals" word as you see above picture.
I think that it should be "Key signatures" what would be replaced "Accidentals" word on blue color


Well, key signatures do consist of accidentals...
However we may indeed rename that tab to "Key Signatures"

On the other hand that dialog might be the place where we could add the configuration for quarter tone accidentals.
Also courtesy accidentals setup might end up here

In reply to by Jojo-Schmitz

"Well, key signatures do consist of accidentals..."

Not necessarily. Most of the definitions I can find of the noun "accidental" explicitly include the idea of contradicting the key signature. The New Grove Dictionary of Music, for its part, says that an accidental is something "placed before a note". By those definitions, sharps and flats are not accidentals when they occur in the signature; they only become accidentals when they're used in the course of the music to contradict the signature (or a previous accidental).

Of course, we can just assume that MuseScore is using the American Heritage Dictionary's definition, which doesn't define "accidental" in terms of location or deviation from the signature.

In reply to by ghicks

What does the American Heritage Dictionary call # and b? I'd call them accidentals, and they do form key signatures, as sort of the default accidental of all the notes following them, which can get accompied or changed by individual accidentals, valid only for the rest of the measure.

In reply to by Jojo-Schmitz

You've misunderstood what I wrote. The American Heritage Dictionary is the only one I checked that *didn't* restrict the term "accidental" to signs that appear before notes and/or contradict the signature. So presumably the constituents of key signatures would be accidentals by the American Heritage definition, but even so their definition of "key signature" doesn't actually use the term "accidentals"; instead it's "The group of sharps or flats placed to the right of the clef on a staff to identify the key."

I checked the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, and it defines "key signature" as "The group of sharp or flat signs placed at the beginning of a composition, immediately after clef, or in the course of a composition generally after a double bar." In defining "sharp" and "flat" it refers to them simply as "notational sign[s]". In none of these definitions does the word "accidental" ever appear.

Hello Jojo and ghicks,
Sorry, I forgot this post. -:)

I have searched from The American Heritage Dictionary and catch two images:
- key signature
- and accidentals

I see that "accidental" and "key signatrue" are two different definition so we should have two tab,
one tab for "accidentals" and one tab for "key signature"

Do you agree? Do you tell me your idea, please ?

Do you still have an unanswered question? Please log in first to post your question.