Import and play MIDI file
I am opening a MIDI File with a piano solo. For some reason Musescore displays a percussion track . I When Other software (Notation Player) recognizes the file as having a piano track wi9th no percussion; so, I know the file is good. How do I get Musescore to open the file properly and display notation on bass & treble clefs? I have attached the MIDI file.
Yikes! MuseScore doesn't like this file at all (i.e. not following a click track).
This is a prime example of an interpretive solo performance rendered via midi, but difficult to rigorously quantize in a scorewriting app.
I don't know why it renders as percussion, but I was able to change the drumset instrument to piano within MuseScore, along with copy/pasting into a new grand staff. The attachment should open in MuseScore 2.02, if you ignore the corrupted measures.
As with many midi imports, you might be able to salvage some of it to put in a new score. It still needs lots of TLC.
In reply to Yikes! MuseScore doesn't like by Jm6stringer
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. How did you change the drum rendering to piano on two clefs?
In reply to Thank you so much for taking by stewartb132
Something like this:
1. I opened your file and changed the time signature to 4/4 in the midi import panel, since the song really isn't triple meter. (Also, Anvil Studio shows 4/4)
2. Right clicking on an empty spot in a measure, I changed the instrument name to piano in Staff Properties. This got rid of the drum sounds and played back as piano.
Some notes still had percussion style note heads, so I selected all the note heads and, in the inspector under 'Note', I used the 'Reset value' arrow for 'Head group' to restore all note heads to regular noteheads.
3. The drum clef sign wouldn't change, so I added a new piano staff to the score, copy/pasted the entire drum clef staff into the new piano treble clef, then split the staff by right clicking on an empty spot in the treble clef, then using 'Split Staff' in the pop up dialog.
4. I then removed the uneeded staves using menu item: Edit / Instruments.
Seems like a lot to do, but it went pretty quickly.
BTW: Past versions of MuseScore would have generated a nightmare of overlapping tied notes to render a more precise timing (smoother play back) of the midi file. This midi-to-notation conversion sounds choppy, but it doesn't look like a complete mess; so it may be partly useful as a guide for a new score. That's mainly why I use midi import - not strictly as an end in itself (when it comes to notation).
In reply to Something like this: 1. I by Jm6stringer
Thanks for taking the time to explain. For someone new to Musescore like me, it's helpful see how you worked it out.
See this thread for information on why this is occurring and a workaround.
No fix yet.....
Issue #85856: Piano renders as percussion on SMF import with Yamaha XG SysEx block opened in the issue tracker.