Text style guide
This document attempts to clarify the various language and stylistic decisions of the English version of the MuseScore user interface. It is initially focused on the MuseScore strings maintained in Transifex, but should be applicable to documentation.
Title capitalization is when every words are capitalized except for certain words. Capitalize all words except the following if they are not the first word of the sentence:
- Articles ("the", "a" and "an")
- Conjunctions ("and", "or" and "but")
- Prepositions having less than five letters, (e.g. "for", "in", "with" or "to", "from" or "under"). It includes "to" as part of an infinitive ("to Walk"). But it excludes the preposition part of a verb phrase, as in “Starting Up the Program.”
Sentence style capitalization is when the first letter of the sentence, statement, phrase, or label is capitalized and all other words are lower case. The only exception to this is proper nouns which are always capitalized.
When to use sentence and title capitalization
|Combo box item||Title|
|Combo box label||Sentence|
|Group box title||Title|
- Only abbreviations should be capitalized.
- Non-abbreviation words should use title or sentence capitalisation as per the above guidelines.
- Standard: US English (we have a British English 'translation' to cover the differences)
- Standard: Use round brackets () for parenthesis, not square brackets .
- Exception strings (have not queried them yet)
- Discussion: Forum: Inconsistency: square brackets used for [Tablature], round brackets for (Tab)
Space between full stop and new sentence
- Single space between the full stop of one sentence and the beginning of the next. Like this. And this.
- Discussion: #281028 Transifex string corrections #2 (double spaces)
Elipsis versus three dots
- It is common to indicate a dialog behind a menu item using ellipsis which are almost indistinguishable from three dots.
- Our standard: Ellipsis … "…", not 3 dots ... .
- Discussion: Forum: Using ellipsis character (…) instead of three dots (...)
Comma before "and" in lists of 3 or more items
- We follow the Serial comma, a.k.a. Hardvard comma convention.
- Discussion: Issue #280919: Transifex string corrections #1
- Note: This is an English guide only. Translators should follow the rules and guidance for their respective languages.
Quotes: single versus double quotes
- Standard: none yet
- Define one of the TS-files wth variable $PO (does not have to be translated since we are looking at the source)
- Single quotes ', "'": 160
grep "<source>" $IF | grep "&apos.*&apos" | less
- Double quotes ", """: 9
grep "<source>" $IF | grep "".*"" | wc -l
- Single quotes ', "'": 160
- Discussion: todo (single quotes have advantages inside C/C++ strings, in that they don't need to get 'escaped', i.e. no need to prefix with a \, backslash, like \")
- Standard: use > (">", greater than) sign between menu items.
- Other separators like , (comma) or / (slash) should be avoided since they have different meanings and can cause ambiguity.
- Discussion: Issue #280470 Inconsistent reference to menu entry navigation