A massive shoutout to the developers!
I came to Musescore only few months ago after using Finale for more than 10 years. I am frankly astonished by how a free software developed by an open source community can make an industry-standard program feel like a complete piece of junk. Crazily enough, I decided to test Musescore by undertaking the largest edition project I had ever done. The end result is the best-looking, best-engraved music I've ever produced. I know it may look like nothing special to a professional, but I also know for a fact that I could have NOT achieved this result in Finale unless working literally 10x the time. Here are a few thoughts.
1) The auto-spacing of the staves and the page-filling algorithm of MS 3.6 is absolutely masterful. I didn't need to fix a single collision in 90 pages, not even with the lyrics lines. Finale has nothing similar: all spacing is manual, and zero collision control. That's why in Finale you tend to set the staff size to 20-30% smaller and give a fixed, larger staff distance, and there you're served with your typical Finale layout that has the size of a towel and has more white space than music.
2) The default placing of articulations and dynamics is absolutely spot on.
3) The default shape of slurs is almost always excellent. Finale's default slurs are notoriously laughable.
4) Stretching-squeezing a whole section of music with the push of a button is incredible. Again: nothing similar in Finale.
5) Section breaks and a simple text frame to separate movements produce an incredibly natural and beautiful result both in scores and parts.
Yes, I've encountered a few bumps on the road, the only serious one being the impossibility of creating cue notes while keeping a staff hidden (see my previous post). And I have a few bugs to report, including a reproducible crash, as well as a few minor suggestions. I'll post in the next weeks :)
I don't know, make what you wish of this post. I just felt that it would be nice to point out the good features, for once, since 99% of the time we use this forum to complain ;)