What do you call that guitar technique where you strum but don't sound the note, but instead make the little "chk chk" or "chf chf" sound

• Feb 5, 2018 - 01:44

Usually common in metal and rock, I think. Just a question that has been on my mind for the past, idk, 3 years. I don't play guitar but hear this sound all the time and I just want to know the name of it so if you can sate my curiosity I thank you.


ghost notes" usually refers to a single note or two in the middle of a melodic line. The repeated strumming patterns often go by other names. See in particular "palm mute".

I want to clarify some possible misinformation.

palm muting: the intended note is still clear
Popular example: "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
Palm muting can be heard throughout practically the whole song.
The left hand frets normally; notes are picked while the edge of the picking hand mutes the strings.
Sheet music would indicate normal notes with either a + or a . "palm mute" or some combination.

string mute: no defined note
Example: every song you are talking about
Here the fretting hand relaxes pressure so no clear note is heard; the picking hand picks normally.
Sheet music would have an X or a stack of Xs instead of a note head(s).

These really are two different techniques and sounds.

Do you still have an unanswered question? Please log in first to post your question.