Selection Filter - improvement suggestion
I think the filter palette is a great tool which is worth improving in order it to be better integrated into the workflow.
Chances are if someone is selecting a range of elements and wants to use a filter palette is because he/she wants to select specific type of objects i.e. notes from the 2nd voice, chord symbols, dynamics etc., while keeping all other elements deselected.
For that purpose it would be better to change the behaviour of the filter palette to selective , instead of exclusive as it is now.
Issues with the current behaviour:
1) The filter won't allow you to select a measure if nothing is selected in the filter palette:
Why is it an issue:
- technically in order to select and copy a specific type of objects from the selected area you have to do at least four operations:
1. unselect "all" option in the filter palette
2. select a specific type of objects in the filter palette
3. select an area on the staff
4. copy the objects in question.
Same would go for deletion or any other type of manipulation of those elements.
Once you've completed the operation you have to again select "all" option in the filter palette in order to continue working normally. Altogether 5 commands that you have to execute using a mouse.
make the filter selective, not exclusive:
Keeping all the elements in the filter palette unchecked should not make it impossible to select a measure with all the different types of objects in it.
Instead, once the measure is selected , checking a specific type of object in the palette should indeed select those objects in the selected measure, so that it would look like in the attached picture.
The checked option in the filter palette should only be valid for that specific area that has been selected. There is no feasible reason, why someone would want to have that specific filter selection stay there, once the operation is completed. As of now it is potentially confusing and most likely counterproductive as the user has to always reset the palette filter.
And in case the user does need to repeat a filtered selection.
- Allow selection of specific filter elements in the palette to be assigned to key commands, so that it would be possible to do it all using keyboard.
With such improvement the whole process would only take 3. commands that can be executed on the keyboard, with no need to hover mouse over to filter palette several times.
The whole algorithm is then much faster in execution and easier to grasp.
|Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 21.24.02.png||237.77 KB|