Combining fretboard diagrams and chord symbols as single entity
I would like to work on improving the existing fretboard diagrams in MuseScore.
There have been issues and feature request regarding this many times in the past, link to some of which are given below.
I have ideas touching the following aspects :
1. As of now, the chord symbols and the fretboard diagrams are two seperate entities. So they should be integrated
as one element , with one as a feature of other ( probably fretboard diagram as a feature of
2. Currently, only a C chord fretboard is accessible in the advanced workspace , which has be edited note by note
manually after placing it in the score.
Idea is to have a predefined set of chords already available to the user to choose from. The user can choose from
the existing chords ( this includes a nested option to choose the style in which the chord is
played on fretboard) , or the user can define a custom chord and add it to the set.
3. Currently, palette does not work properly for storing chord symbols , with the root of the chord lost when dragging
it to the palette. It would be useful to be able to drag this new element ( chord symbol +
fretboard) to the palette for quick usage in future. The palette can also be pre-populated with some of commonly
used chords by default.
4. Since fretboard diagrams are only meant for guitar , it would be less preferred to compulsorily display them along
with each chord symbol. The user will have an option to hide this property ( fretboard diagram )
from the chord symbol according to his/her will.
User Interaction :
1. User can add an element for chord symbols having a fretboard diagram property.
2. Double-Click on the diagram opens an edit dialogue which shows the chord name with a fretboard diagram along
with other edit options. User can edit the chord name , which when matches a chord in the
predefined set of chords , automatically updates the corresponding fretboard diagram.
3. There are three ways to select a chord,fretboard diagram pair :
a) Directly edit the name of the chord and the corresponding fretboard diagram is generated if match found .
If a match is not found , the user will be prompted to add a new chord to the database.
b) Select the chord from the list of available chords. Select the variant of the fretboard diagram for the chord and
c) Click ADD and a new dialog opens which allows adding a new chord,fretboard combination to the list .
4. Single Click on this element allows positioning it with the arrow keys , as with the chord symbols now.
I would like to have the opinion of other developers on this topic on the design as well as implementation specifics.