Problems with sound on XP after restoring the system to an earlier state
I've been using MuseScore 1.1 and later 1.2 on my Windows XP system since the end of 2011. The playback through the internal synthesizer was always very good and I used different sound fonts. Everything was fine.
Due to a problem unrelated to MuseScore I restored my system back to a backup from August 2011 [just the system, not the data ;-)]
Since in August 2011 I wasn't using MuseScore, I installed 1.2 onto the restored system. And much to my surprise, audio playback now has a problem. It starts reproducing, the first bar is usually OK, then it starts to stutter, there is a lot of distortion. The cursor in the score is getting out of sync, it is moving ahead, the distorted output is lagging behind.
I'm not sure what to do from here. It's running OK on another much less powerful PC, I don't understand why this more powerful machine that never had a problem with playback suddenly shows this problem.
My I/O settings look like this. It doesn't make a difference which options I pick: