MuseScore 2/3 Compatibility
Since I see there has been discussion of this here, I want add my comments on the side of those who find the lack of compatibility between MuseScore 2 and MuseScore 3 a major problem. It is a problem especially for me because 1) I have a very substantial library of MuseScore 2 scores, and 2) it is part of my style as a composer that I am continually generating new compositions by revising or combining old ones.
As an example of the problems, I selected a random MuseScore 2 score, opened it in both MuseScore 2 and Musescore 3, and saved the results, attached. I answered No to the reset question in MS3 for the attached score, but I also opened the same MS2 score in MS3 answering Yes, and on casual inspection I don't see any difference between the Reset No and Reset Yes MS3 versions, Just to name the problems I immediately noticed:
- In the MS 3 version the formatting of the lead page has been distorted.
- In the MS3 score the measure widths have been greatly increased, resulting in bizarrely isolated lyrics syllables, and what is worse, increasing the number of pages in the score from 10 to 16. I spent a lot of care in this score trying to minimize the number of page turns, but the MS3 score now has many more of them. If it were ever performed, the audience would probably wonder if all the paper rustling was supposed to be some avant-garde part of the music.
- In some measures, e.g. measure 19, the MS3 version has turned a single hyphen in the lyrics to a double hyphen.
- The rall. extension at the end are distorted in the MS3 version.
I don't find this a minor problem because 1) I am going to be revising and reworking old MS continually so I will always be having to deal with these alterations, and 2) the alterations mean the converted score may have distortions that even meticulous proofreading may miss.
This is a choral score, and I suspect other sorts of scores may exhibit different problems in converting. But my point is that the lack of reliable and complete backward compatibility between MS2 and MS3 is likely to double or triple the amount of time and effort I'll need to spend on future versions of my work, if I want to use MS3 for them.
I'd say the developers of MuseScore 3 were too narrowly focused on the assumption that almost everyone uses MuseScore to compose scores from scratch, and underestimated how common it is for users to use MuseScore to create new scores based on previous ones.
The only thing I can suggest for MuseScore developers is that they keep MS2 available for the indefinite future, or maybe at least until they have a future version of MuseScore which has backward compatibility with MS2.