How do I get trills between two different notes?

• Jan 19, 2021 - 10:38

In the 1st Movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata, there is a theme known as the "Rocket" Theme, which ascends incredibly quickly, but then descends slightly slower. In the left hand of this descent, there are two notes an octave apart, but they are being alternated really quickly.
The notation for this (or at least in my version, which is the Pearson Edexcel Music GCSE Anthology) looks like quaver stems but with a minim note head. I was wondering what these were called and how I could put them into my own composition? Thanks


Yes, those are tremolo. You're describing the old-style way of rotating it, the more modern way is the default, but the page referenced above explains them both.

EDIT: hmm, no it doesn't, not really. Add the standard notation first as described, then use the Inspector to set the style of the tremolo to "Traditional".

Do you still have an unanswered question? Please log in first to post your question.