Entering feature-freeze for MuseScore 4.2
We’re about a month away from the release of MuseScore 4.2, which means that now is a great time to help test all the fantastic new features that will be included in this release:
- Support for alternate string tunings
- All-new system for inputting bends and customising their playback
- Bend playback currently requires SoundFont or VST. We’ll update this post when support for bends is added in Muse Sounds.
- Better synchronisation between the score and the parts
- Ability to exclude certain elements from the score or the parts
Harp pedal diagrams
- Support for glissando playback with correct enharmonics
- Support for arpeggios spanning voices
- Options to place ties ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ of notes and chords
- Various other fixes (see list)
- 6-key Braille input via the Braille panel
- Ability to choose specific sounds within a SoundFont
- Support for Music Encoding Initiative (MEI) format
- Various MusicXML fixes and improvements
Share to Audio.com
- Ability to update existing audio
- Option to publish to MuseScore.com and Audio.com at the same time
- Optimisations for note-input
To test these features, simply head over to the nightly builds page and download the latest build for your platform. On Linux and macOS, you can run the nightlies like you run the regular program. Windows users have a choice of using the portable
.paf.exe (simply download and double-click it), or the
.7z compressed archives (extract these with 7zip, then double click on
MuseScore4.exe inside the
If you find something buggy, please report it on GitHub. As always, please check first that the issue hasn’t already been raised.
We have now entered a feature-freeze, meaning that no new features will be added to 4.2. However, we will continue to fix bugs throughout this period, so it’s worth checking you have the latest nightly build before you report any issues.
We will release an official ‘beta’ for 4.2 shortly, but this is mainly to test the installation and release processes. Do check out the beta when it lands, but for bug testing it’s best to stick to nightly builds as these will be updated continuously.
Thanks all, and happy bug-hunting!
The MuseScore Team
Note for plugin authors: if your plugin uses the
TextField component from QtQuick.Controls 1.0, please replace it with the
TextEdit component from QtQuick.Controls 2.15 (or from QtQuick.Controls 2.2 if you require compatibility with MuseScore 3). See issue #19326 for details. Thanks!