Wrong Beat Count In Measure

• Jan 24, 2017 - 06:01
Type
Graphical (UI)
Severity
S3 - Major
Status
closed
Regression
No
Workaround
No
Project

Hi. I'm very new to Musescore (only a few days into it) and not at all a professional musician, but I think there's a bug that has caused a measure in my 4/4 to have only 2 beats. I've tried deleting the measure as well as trying to add a half rest, but I can't seem to do it. It's not a big deal for me because I'm still learning how the program works so the piece I'm doing is more to practice how things work instead of for any musical value. Perhaps I've missed something that could correct it, but I haven't been able to find it. When I try to bring up the piece, it says the file is corrupted (and the details say there's a measure with the wrong beat count...uh, yeah...lol). I can still open it despite the corrupt message, but it's still got that weird measure. Any ideas on how to fix it? (Btw, still love the program!)
Practice_makes_perfect.mscz

GIT commit: 3c7a69d


Comments

The score is simply corrupt and tells you when you open it, as you noticed:
Measure 3 Staff 1 incomplete. Expected: 4/4; Found: 1/2
If you ignore that and open it anyway, that corruption won't go away magically, you'd have to fix it, see https://musescore.org/en/node/54721

What would be interesting is how you got into that situation, i.e. a step-by-step preocedure to reproduce, which then could lead us to find and fix the bug.

I swapped voices and then swapped back and it allowed me to delete so it ended up with a full rest there. Thanks for the help.

As for the steps that got me into that situation, I really don't know, but here's my best guess. I'm still very new to the program and I had added some notes that didn't go the way I wanted so I tried to delete them. I think at that point it deleted a half rest and then I was left with only two beats in the measure. I originally had a half note that was tied to the sixteenth in the measure before (which split the whole rest into two half rests). I tried to delete the half note completely by using the delete button and it ended up deleting those two beats completely from the program.

I can't say for sure that's what happened, but I think that was it.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks! I'm going to tuck this way of fixing it away so if it happens again, I'll have the fix ready to go. Appreciate the help!

That doesn't really explain how it might have happened, sorry, unless you can't come.up with a more detailed description, we'd have to close this issue

I wish I could help you more. It was unexpected so I didn't pay attention to what steps led up to it. I know when I tried to delete the notes, I used the delete button and when that didn't work, I highlighted the entire measure and tried to delete it with the delete button. Other than that, I have no other details. Sorry.

In reply to by Jojo-Schmitz

Title Wrong beat count in measure Wrong Beat Count In Measure
Reported version 2.1  
Regression No
Workaround No

I had this happen to me as well. I imported a PDF and, while I haven't checked all the measures, the first two have the issue as well. They are 6/4 but don't have the dotted half note at the end. I have a hard copy (not of the musescore) with me as well and it does have the dotted half notes. I will try your solution. Hope this works!

In reply to by Jojo-Schmitz

Title Wrong Beat Count In Measure I found another way to fix this problem

Right-click the measure that has the issue, and go to measure properties. Change the actual duration to match the nominal duration. This fixed it for me, and has worked repeatedly in the past couple hours without issue.