Version 3 at two months
I posted an editorial on the release of version 3 on the one month anniversary of the release of MuseScore 3. This post is a few days late and a day after the release of version 3.0.3. With this release I'm willing to actually start using version 3 rather than using it to help others and track down bugs. I haven't sold out to version 3 yet, because there are still some bugs that must be fixed for me to only use it.
I have started a project to host Braille scores on MuseScore.com located at https://musescore.com/openscore-braille. I do not allow version 3 score to be added to this project due to problems with export to MusicXML listed in #281511: [Epic] Braille friendly musicxml export. Until these are fixed, scores created in version 3 are impossible to convert to Braille based upon the MusicXML exported by MuseScore. When it's possible to convert MusicXML to Braille, I'll require all scores to be in version 3. Since I upload all of these score, I can quickly convert version 2 scores to version 3 so they are sufficient for Braille conversion. This is one of 2 personal stoppers issue I still have with version 3.
My other issue is that there are problems with import, mostly related to importing text. I have a large project I'm working on that uses custom system text. When the score is imported, it converts the text to regular staff text. It would take too long to fix all of these occurrences in version 3, so this project will continue in version 2 for the time being. See #277501: individual text style is not imported from V2-score and #282236: Custom text ignores system flag when imported into 3.x. I am not the only person with similar issues.
There are still some issues with basic layout that were not addressed in the last two releases, like #279182: Cross-staff slurs/ties trying to avoid note on wrong staff, #280969: Cross staff 8ths lose beam if all notes moved to staff above . There are some critical (perhaps should be stopper issues since they cause crashes) relating to beams like #282352: Beaming 8th notes across barline and creating text causes crash. I didn't analyze all of the issues, but there are a couple of pages of Blocker issues that are still open and about 20 Critical issues with "PR created" as the status and around 50 more issues with "PR created" as the status since the release of version 3 in December. I realize some of these will never be merged, but there should be a comment on all of these with the status changed appropriately.
There are several Critical issues that relate to basic notation. Many of these prevent MuseScore from doing its basic function of notation. Some of these things, like #284434: "hide courtesy key signature" not working when hiding for only one staff of multiple-staff score and #284810: Lyrics verses overlap in the PDFs for parts prevent a professional score from being printed. There are professional printer who use MuseScore and cannot be reasonably expected to use version 3 until several issues are corrected.
From a user's point of view, until plugins work the way they did in version 2, it is impossible or very difficult to make scores like those in version 2. Among the most critical plugins is the TempoChange plugin, which cannot yet be ported to version 3.
One other item that I've heard nothing about except complaints is the MuseScore Drumline. This either needs fixed or an official statement saying it will not be updated for version 3. Users don't know what's going on with it.
In the past, there has been a delay in having MuseScore notify users of a new release, so if there is a disaster that is not found until release it can be fixed prior to full scale release of a new version. Version 3.0.3 has a disaster with playback that is a deal breaker for many users. Notifying users of this release automatically is not the best decision. It fills the forum with a large number of complaints about the same thing and it gets tiring telling people the issue is being worked on rather than helping users with real questions.
I don't want you think I have ignored all of the work being done to improve MuseScore. It has been noticed by me and others. The extreme slowdown that I've experienced in the past seems to be fixed. This makes it possible to use version 3 for symphonic scores, which I found impossible prior to version 3.0.3. The number of bug fixes between versions 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 is impressive. Thanks to all of the programmers, especially the volunteers, who have done this.