Brass band template
MuseScore version: 188.8.131.5290
27” iMac 2013 running Mojave 10.14.4
By way of introduction, I have been using music notation programs since 1994 (Encore and then Finale and MuseScore). Despite its problems, I prefer MuseScore because of the ease with which one interacts with the program, especially with regard to selecting, playing back and pasting-in.
1) Voices problem
I copied and pasted instruments from an orchestral score into a MuseScore brass band template and made necessary changes. Some of the parts had divisi voices on one stave which the brass band score did not require so unwanted notation was deleted. The redundant rests refused to delete. I tried switching voices in the menu but to no avail so I made them invisible which entailed laboriously selecting each one in turn manually. Attempts to shift-select also selected adjacent material.
I haven’t succeeded in pasting into a selected voice in MuseScore. The program deletes existing voices as material is pasted in.
2) Transposition and playback problem
When I changed from concert score to transposed all the key signatures were one whole tone too high. Then I noticed that the additional euphonium instrument part I had added to the score had not transposed, possibly the cause of the above score transposition problem. I therefore transposed this part manually but it now plays back a whole tone too high, even though correct on paper. I can see why it did this; the program thinks it is a concert key instrument.
3) Menu problem
There are also problems with the breaks and spacers menu which allows me, unintentionally, to drag items out of the menu. The items also jump about when I click in the menu.
4) File saving problem
Sometimes when I save a file I get a message to choose a name and location for the file, even though I am merely saving it. This is part of a historical problem I have experienced saving files in MuseScore, which sometimes behaves in a way that is different from any other program I have used (since I began on Macs in 1988). The problem only occurs when I have additional files open at the top of the page, although I only wish to save the one I am working on.
5) Installation problem.
Believing that I might have a Beta version I tried downloading the program again but the downloaded file disappears when I double-click to install it. I tried more than once. I also tried via the Downloads folder and dragging the file onto the desktop.
6) File-opening problem
The latest MuseScore version I have sometimes takes an eternity to open a file and sometimes not.
The attached file has a playback problem (see above):
|Requiem_To_A_Lost_Generation brass band.mscz||76.81 KB|