Playback issues on audio devices set to high sample rates
I see a number of reports of people experiencing laggy/stuttering/distorted playback that often goes away if you set your audio device to 44.1 kHz instead of 48 (or higher). This only happens on a subset of systems, and so far the developers can't reproduce this issue. But from the number times I've seen users report and the number of times I've suggested the sample rate fix and the number of users who have confirm it worked, I know it's unfortunately not that rare either.
I'm trying to help discover the cause of this, so if you have seen this, please read on.
First, if you are still experiencing problems with playback and haven't tried setting your audio device sample rate (usually in your OS settings, or the software that came with your audio device), please try that.
Once you've tried this - whether it worked or not - I want to know more about your specific situation:
- did 44.1 kHz work for you?
- was it previously set to 48 kHz, or something else?
- if it was previously set higher, does turning it down to 48 also work?
- if it was previously set to 48, was anything higher available as an option?
- what OS are you on?
- are you using the built-in audio for your computer or an external device?
- what CPU / RAM?
- what MuseScore buffer size in Edit / Preferences / I/O?
- if you set the sample rate back to where the problem occurs, does increasing the buffer size also help or not?
- anything you think might be relevant?