WYSIWYG chords in MuseScore 2.0 and how to tweak it, to be more like 1.3
In MuseScore 2.0 a new way was introduced to parse and render chords.
Some information can be found here:
New flexible chord symbol entry and rendering
This page talks about two modes of operation, however, now in the (almost) finished product there is basically only one mode, the WYSIWYG mode, where a variety of different chord spellings is accepted.
I would like to know how we can tweak this behaviour so it enforces a set of chord spellings.
While it is great the for example a minor chord can be entered in many different ways, it would be good to force the system to always render it in one way, so for example in the way version 1.3 used to do.
Here I am copying what was discussed in //musescore.org/en/node/33766#comment-180286
To enforce only the spelling of minor/major chords used in version 1.3, I added this to chords_jazz.xml:
That way regardless of the spelling entered, eg. Ami, A-, Am, the rendered result is always "A" followed by the special precomposed glyph "MI" provided only in the MuseJazz font.
- Which other additions to the chords_jazz.xml file are possible, to make the behaviour more like the one in 1.3?
- How do you restrict diminished to "o" (I noticed that you need to type lower case o, not 0 (zero)) and disallow "dim"?
- And how do disallow Ø7 and map that to mi7b5 instead? I don't understand the comment in the XML that talks about mi7b5 and 07 (zero seven).
- Is there a list of pre-canned names, like "mi" and "ma" that do special things? Like map to a single special character in the MuseJazz font?
- We also used to have a 7alt chord, with the "alt" as a superscript. Now it's put at the baseline.
- mi(ma7) chords look different to what they used to look, before the had the parenthesis, now the "Ma7" goes as a superscript (with or without parenthesis). That's a change.
Is the old jazzchords.xml really still supported? Is it a good idea to use it? Wouldn't it be better to tweak the new system to be a little more like the old while having more liberties?
I've just opened an 1.3 score with 2.0. The chord style gets imported as "Custom", in my case cchords_muse.xml. That looked OK. Switching to Jazz chords also looked OK. I tried another score, the one with the "alt" and mi(ma7) chords. Switching to the new scheme moved the alt down and the (ma7) up as described above.
So are there any recommendations for a transition?