MuseScore 3 at 3 months
MuseScore 3 was released on December 24, 2018, and I've been posting opinions about it around each month's anniversary date.
The biggest news of the last month is that plugins have been fixed. You can now use many of the plugins that were available in version 2. My understanding is that there is still a problem with halftime and doubletime. I know there is still interest in continuing to improve plugins.
I don't currently use version 3 for 2 main reasons.
- Continuous view is unusable.
If you try to enter a score larger than about a quartet, it gets slow so quickly that the pause between pressing a note and it's display (and stop sounding) is intolerable. If you do have a small enough score the total lack of anything resembling formatting makes it nearly impossible to read what you have entered unless you put in large enough spacers to keep the flute notes from showing up on the piccolo staff and the lyrics from being unreadable because they are covered by the staff below.
- The bar lines are unusable
Unless you use the exact instruments in the template, adjusting the barlines so instrument families are joined, which is common, is an adventure not for the feint of heart.
One other problem that needs to be fixed is the MusicXML export. The last score I started in version 3 then gave up on, I decided to export it to MusicXML and open it in version 2 to finish. After all of the fixing of the garbage that was imported I regretted not just starting over. I figured 30 measures wouldn't be too bad to fix, but it would have been easier to just start over. The two things I remember dealing with were the cres. and dim. lines were all changed to < and > hairpins and every staff that had more than one voice had the entire staff filled with invisible rests in the other voice. At least I knew how to fix the barline disaster I imported.
There are still several issues with cross staff notation that prevent proper notations for pianos and harps. These are still in need of being fixed.
The poor management of windows is one more thing that is in great need of being addressed. Version 2 did not have problems with windows being too big to see the buttons on them and telling people to change the setup on their systems just for MuseScore is totally wrong. These issues need to be addressed. Either QT has bugs that need fixed, or the programmers need to learn how to use QT properly. I don't program, so I don't know which one it is.
MuseScore.com's lack of ability to keep up with changes is another problem that needs to be addressed. Every time a new version of the program comes out, it's as though the .com maintainers are shocked that there are changes made and new scores probably won't upload for a few days. Perhaps a little bit of testing and coordination would help with this.
I use version 2.3.2. I don't even bother saving them in version 3.x to make them look better on the website. There are way too many complaints about version 3 scores not uploading and version 3 does such a poor job of exporting to MusicXML that these scores are ONLY usable in MuseScore and not for other purpose like transferring to Braille.
I'll continue helping with the forums on questions in versions 2 & 3, and I'll continue waiting for a usable version 3. I'm looking forward to version 3.1 being released, at least in the beta version, prior to next month's anniversary - I hope.