Barlines in tablature too long when using the Guitar Tab template

• Sep 24, 2013 - 11:53
S5 - Suggestion


On a single guitar tab, the vertical lines between measures are far too long. They should be like they are on classical staves.


same problem with a system (staff+tab)


Attachment Size
tab 2.PNG 5.55 KB
tab.PNG 9.1 KB


In addition to listing the version number, please attach the score you are having trouble with and specific steps to reproduce the problem any time you report an issue.

Title Vertical lines in guitar Tabs too long Barlines in tablature too long

Can you also list the operating system? Some bugs are specific to them.

A little tip for those who don't know: If you go into 'About MuseScore', you can click on a button to copy the revision number.

I've had the problem with all the recent nightly builds I've checked (that does not mean that it did not exist before, as I've just starting to investigate the nightly builts).
Actually, I experience this problem with the latest musescore (MuseScoreNightly-2013-09-24-2209-3c7498e)
I work with a Windows 7 home premium 64bits
The problem does not occur with a specific file. It always happend when I create a new score from the template Guitar Tab.mscx
(see file from_template.mscz)

Although, when I create guitar systems (staff+Tab) using the Wizard, there is no cross barlines in the systems. But I experience other problems (see file fffff.mscz).
at least, 2 new problems :

- the font use to write TAB is different in the template from the other cases.
- Impossible to set the staff properties of the electric guitar to any kind of 6 strings Guitar style.

Attachment Size
from_template.mscz 1.88 KB
fffff.mscz 2.37 KB
Title Barlines in tablature too long Barlines in tablature too long when using the Guitar Tab template

I can confirm that the guitar tab template doesn't work right. But FWIW, I don't think ny of the templates have been made 2.0-ready. We're waiting until closer to final release. So if you're looking to try out new features, you're better off creating scores from scratch. You'll fnd tab options in the instrument dialog, and they do not suffer this barline problem that I've seen.

Hi Mark,

Ok for the templates. But as shown in the fffff.mscz file (see above) the tab options in the instrument dialog are also containing errors. Mainly on the electric guitar preset.
Which is bad since my Fender stratocaster is my favourite instrument.

What are the required knowledges to create good templates for Musescore 2.0 ?
I'am not a developper, but I would like to try to do something for the MuseScore community. So why not trying to improve the tab notation part ?

The main thing we are waiting in regarding templates is for MuseScore 2.0 itself to become more stable. Not just stable in the sense of not crashing (it's always pretty good by now!) but in the sense of, things not changing so much from day to day or week to week. No sense creating a template today that won't work in a month because too many things have changed.

But once things have stabilized more, templates are indeed a great way to get started in contributing! No coding knowledge required. Just create a score, get everything the way you think it should be, delete the actual contents (eg, notes), and save.

As for the problems you see in the other file you uploaded, based on your description they seem unrelated to barlines, so you should file these separately if you are sure they are really bugs. I'm leaving this one open, because there *may* be a bug involving barlines too (could be as simple as a bad template, but still, that's a bug). But any bug involving changing staff types should be a separate report.

If you do file a separate issue, though, be sure to describe exactly step by step what you are doing, what you expect to see, and what you see instead.

From your brief summary, I tried opening your score, hitting I to open Instruments, then changing the staff type of the first Electonic Guitar staff to Tab 6-string common using the drop down. When I hit OK, it definitely worked. So I am not understanding your second issue, "Impossible to set the staff properties of the electric guitar to any kind of 6 strings Guitar style".

As for the first, regarding the different font - as you may see in the Clef palette, there are two different tab clefs, one in a fancy script font, one in a plainer one. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be or why sometimes one is used and sometimes the other. But you can definitely change the clef after changing staff type. Not sure this is actually a bug, unless perhaps it is the case that the script tab clef should always be used for certain staff types and the plain tab clef always used for others.

dear Marc,

about the font for the tab, thank you. But About the problem of staff properties for electric guitar, I will open a thread on the issue tracker because there is a problem.
I will send an animated GIF that will explain.