Reference style files in scores
I was confused about the functionality of user-saved style files. I thought that when I loaded a style file, it was referenced by the score so that any future changes to the style file would be reflected upon reload.
It appears that the style file is copied into the score file as a one-time operation. Assuming I understand it correctly, my request would be to have the style file referenced by the score so that changes to the style file would be seen in the score. Here are some thoughts on how this might work:
- the existing behavior of copying the style into the store should persist as a fallback if the style file goes missing
- when a style is loaded and applied to a score, it's path should be saved with the score
- when a score is opened and it has a saved style file path, that style should be applied before rendering the score
- if the style file cannot be found, the user should be prompted to find the style file and, if found, the new path should be saved (if not, the path should be cleared?)
- the above behavior should also work for batch operations (e.g., print album)
I don't know how the style files are versioned (if at all) so there may need to be handling for cases where a style file is older and does not specify a particular value, consider:
- new score
- load newer style file that covers all attributes
- load older style that omits an attribute
I would expect to get the equivalent of:
- new score
- apply old style
and not have any of the newer style's attributes left behind.