Realizing Figured Bass
I have created a branch to experiment with realization of Figured Bass (basso continuo).
The branch (and corresponding PR) is called realize-figured-bass.
The concept is very limited at the moment.
What does it do?
Starting with a score which has Figured Bass annotated in it, this function will interpret the notation and creates additional notes in the same staff corresponding to the figure.
Starting with a score such as the following:
The command can be found in the Edit->Tools menu under the title: Realize Figured Bass
The command will update the score as follows:
There are many limitations. I'll list some of them.
- it creates notes in the same staff as the Figured Bass is found. It should write into a different staff, allowing the user to specify
- it assumes only one staff exists with FB annotations. It should allow the user to specify which staff to read from.
- musescore supports multiple FB annotations on a single note. Ie. a quarter note can have to annotations for each of the eighth notes which comprise it. This is not yet supported by the program.
- notes with no FB annotation, should imply the "obvious" chord. This is not yet implemented, and will probably never be implemented perfectly as it is probably impossible in many situations.
- musescore supports several modifiers for the FB notations including +, slash, natural, and a few more. These ARE supported but are not fully tested.
- depending the composer or the period, some notation should be treated differently. This is not yet supported.