• Mar 11, 2012 - 04:22
S2 - Critical

Format-General causes crash on Windows build.
win7 x64 musescore build 5446.
Happens with new created scores and old 1.1 scores.
attached appcrash report, seems the format-general crashes qt-built4.8 (see log).
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: mscore.exe
Anwendungszeitstempel: 4f5bd145
Fehlermodulname: QtCore4.dll
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4ee593bc
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 00126cea
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789


I just recently downloaded this program and used for the first time today, and it crashed:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: mscore.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 4f5f4d90
Fault Module Name: mscore.exe
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f5f4d90
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000a68a9
OS Version: 6.1.7601.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

Is this related? Is there a cure?

Can you tell us which operating system you use ? Which version of MuseScore ?
Also, when did the crash occur? at startup ? or you create a score? at playback time etc

which operating system you use ? I use Windows 7
Which version of MuseScore ? Version 1.2 Rev 5470 (I uninstalled MuseScore, re-downloaded and installed, and had the same problem)
when did the crash occur? at startup ? or you create a score? at playback time etc When opening a an XML file that I had just created by saving as XML from MuseScore. I am able to open other files.

I phoned a friend who also uses MuseScore. We share files on DropBox, and he was able to open the same file that had caused my repeated crashes. He then made a minor change to the music (using CTRL K, changed chord text from Amin to Am) and re-saved it just to see if I could then open it, and it opened for me without issue after that. However, I did not attempt to make any further changes to that file.

In an attempt to recreate this problem, I worked on another file with 6/8 time signature, connecting clusters of three (quavers) so they shared one beam. Also added text to the composer field. I saved the file as XML and closed it without saving the musescore file. When I re-opened the file in MuscScore, my program did not crash. However, the beam connection changes that I made were not there, although the text that I added in the composer field was there. My friend, while still on the phone, also tried making the bar connection changes, saved the file as XML, and reopened it in MuscScore also with the same results - the beam connection changes did not "stick" -- only the composer field text change did. So both of us tried making the same changes, saving the file as XML, then reopening - and had the same results. I believe that he uses a MAC.

The point of telling you all of that was that I was able to open another file, save it, and reopen it without crashing. So it would appear that whatever was causing that crash in the first file was unique only to that file, and mysteriously "cured" when my friend re-saved the file. However, in the process of trying to recreate my original problem, I seem to have discovered something new that does not work for either of us...

I hope this helps.

There are a lot of different things in this bug report... and nothing very useful to reproduce. I propose to close it if nothing more happens.